India is one of the best countries in the world which offers excellent engineering programs for undergraduates and post-graduates students across the globe. Despite the quality engineering programs that India universities offer, there are other programs such as Arts, Pharmacy, Nursing and Medicine that anyone can study for higher degrees. It will thrill you to know that the government of India offers fully funded scholarships for a number of selected African countries to undertake various courses in some of the prestigious universities in India. Read on to keep yourself abreast of this yearly scholarship offered by the Indian government for a few selected African countries.
At the inaugural plenary of the India – Africa Forum Summit held in New Delhi in April 2008, the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India announced the Government of India’s initiative to enhance the academic opportunities for students of African countries in India by increasing the number of scholarships for them to pursue undergraduate, post-graduate and higher courses.
The ICCR implements this scheme on behalf of the Ministry of External Affairs.
Under this Scheme, the Council offers 900 scholarships to the following countries:
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Republic of the Congo), Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DR Congo (Democratic Republic of the Congo), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Students applying for post-graduate, doctoral/ post-doctoral courses should include a synopsis of the proposed area of research
- Candidates must have adequate knowledge in English
- Priority will be given to students who have never studied in India before
- Students should ensure that they get the correct visa from the Indian Embassy/High Commission
- The scholars who are awarded scholarships should bring with them all documents relating to their qualification in original for verification by the respective college/university at the time of admission
- Living allowance (Stipend) (Per Month): Undergraduate -5,500 , Postgraduate-6,000 M.Phil / Ph.D 7,000, Post-doctoral Fellow-7,500
- House Rent Allowance (Per Month): In Grade 1 cities-5,000 and In other cities-4,500
- Contingent Grant (per annum): Undergraduate-5,000, Postgraduate-7,000, M/Phil / Ph.D and M.Tech./ME-12,500, Postdoctoral studies-15,500, Tuition Fee/Other Compulsory Fee-As per actual (excluding refundable amount) –Thesis and dissertation Expenses (Once in entire duration of course)
D Scholar-10,000 and for BBA/BCA/MBA/MCA/M.Tech and other course required submission of Project-7.000
- Medical Benefits: Under the scheme, scholars are expected to seek treatment only at medical center or dispensary attached to universities / Institutes where they enrolled or in the nearest Government hospital (Bill are settled as admissible according to AMA/CGHS norms)
- selected candidates would be provided with return economy class airfares to the nearest international airport and Air-Conditioned III Train fare to the place of study if so required.
- The selected students will be paid living allowance, contingent grant, house rent allowance and thesis expenses, as admissible under the rules of the ICCR.
- Air ticket for a journey from Home Country to India will be provided by the Embassy and return ticket will be provided to the scholar in India.
- Applicants may approach their home Embassy directly with duly completed applications, original educational documents and a certified copy of the same.
- Since slots are limited, applicants are requested to approach the Indian Embassy with a duly completed application form as soon as possible well before the due date. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Please visit the official scholarship homepage for more details; http://www.iccr.gov.in/content/africa-scholarships